In the last few weeks, we have completed the final sprints of the second quarter and held a review and planning session. It's amazing to see how much we accomplished last quarter, and to use what we learned to make better plans and schedules for the next quarter. It's a good time for retrospective and growth.

Crypto

In Q2, we started integrating a cryptocurrency wallet for Circles UBI into the Memri app, which requires creating the UI on the front-end and a wallet library to perform blockchain-related operations. At the end of Q2, we created CVUs to display wallet, cryptocurrencies and account information such as balance and transaction history, demos can be found in our previous posts. We also built a wallet core library abstracted from the CirclesLand (https://github.com/circlesland/circles-platform) source code, which includes the essential functions like Circles account management and token transfer.
In Q3, we will focus on extending the wallet library to support other cryptocurrency tokens, and figuring out a suitable design for the Memri app to call the library to retrieve information and handle data synchronization with the pod.

Identity

In Q2, we completed a business plan for using blockchain to build an identity and password recovery system. It is based on Gnosis Safe multi-signature and Shamir secret sharing for credential distribution and verification, and uses a smart contract to perform the recovery process. In Q3, we will start implementing this identity system and integrate it with the Memri app.

Governance

Our objective of this quarter was to create an effective, self-governing organization that we trust and are happy in! This objective is very large, so hard prioritization was required. We focused on putting certain structural components in place to help with the effective self-governance component of the objective. We introduced a new organizational rhythm that builds on the objectives, breaks them down into goals and tasks, and introduces new rituals and meetings to go along with them. In these meetings, we review, reflect, or plan for the next sprint or quarter. Another key component we introduced was the social contract (and SCEM, Social Contract Evaluation Meetings), where we clearly define how we make decisions about specific issues. By clearly defining these decision-making powers (and a back-up), we avoid getting stuck and not knowing how to proceed if we cannot reach consensus. This social contract helps us prevent that! We also worked on our remuneration system. We wanted to create a more dynamic and inclusive system, as our current pay system is no longer adequate. Unfortunately, this goal was not achieved. We got to a point where we drafted an initial proposal, but quickly realized that this required more effort and focus from the rest of the org than was available at the time. Everyone worked hard in the last few weeks of the quarter to achieve their own objectives.

We have learned a lot in the last quarter, and one of those things is that the focus of our objective setting has been too much on making the organization self-governing as quickly as possible. Based on valuable and super helpful input, we adjusted our approach slightly and changed the objective to: "Create an effective organization that enables all spaces to fulfill their purpose". And focus more on an organization where people can build skills, learn, and gain access to more and more processes that help them self-govern over time. We have already put some of this into action with our values realignment workshop, a role review session and, perhaps more excitingly, when we started planning our first ever offline team event! More to follow in the near future!